Incorporating hempseeds and hempseed oil into the diet is an excellent way to get nutrients and Omega fatty acids needed by the body. They are a healthy and flavorful addition to any meal (or eaten on their own).
Below are some fresh ideas for eating hempseeds and hempseed oil:
1. Raw out of the bag – Hempseeds have a mild, nutty flavor, similar in taste to walnuts or sesame seeds. 2-5 tablespoons a day are the average amounts of servings.
2. Sprinkled on salads – I sprinkle a couple spoons of hempseeds on top my salad instead of croutons. They add a nice, fresh flavor without the extra carbs. They are also a wonderful addition to Tabbouleh.
3. Mixed with nuts – Hempseeds can be mixed with other nuts and seeds for a delicious snack, such as trail mix.
4. Blended into a smoothie – Fresh fruit/veggie smoothies get an extra boost of healthy nutrients when hempseeds are added. Try fresh/dried fruits, almond milk, hempseeds or hemp protein powder and some carrots and greens.
5. Salad dressing – Hempseed oil is an excellent salad dressing base. It is green in color and has a light, nutty flavor. I use it for vinaigrettes – hempseed oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, spices, and a bit of spicy dijon mustard. (Hempseed oil must be kept refrigerated because it will go rancid quickly.)
6. Mixed with tuna or veggies – I will sometimes mix up tuna with fresh veggies and add a light mayo and hempseeds, stuffed into pita bread or placed over a bed of fresh romaine lettuce.
7. Sprinkled on soup – It is best to eat hempseeds fresh and not subject them to high heat; however, I will sometimes sprinkle them over the top of my bowl of soup or stew before eating.
8. Sprinkled over pasta or casseroles – I add hempseeds or a little hempseed oil to my mild pasta dishes, they add a nice flavor without being overpowering.
9. Dips – Hempseeds are delicious blended into dips with chickpeas (garbanzo beans), herbs, spices, or any other nutritious base.
10. Ice cream – Almonds, peanuts, and walnuts all go well with ice cream – why not hempseeds? (For a healthy ice cream alternative, try a flavored hemp ice cream with hempseeds sprinkled on top!)
There are countless ways to use hempseeds and hempseed oil, all it takes it a bit of creativity!